Thursday, January 22, 2009

The keys to being a great inventor

People are always asking me what it takes to be a great inventor. Well, actually no one actually asks me that, but that's only because I don't have time to return all the requests for interviews. Well, actually no one really requests interviews, but I can be an intimidating figure sometimes. It's just one of those things you have to accept when you're a great inventor.

Anyway, as I was saying, people always ask me what it takes to be a great inventor. I tell them, "You gotta be able to see the extraordinary in the ordinary." What do I mean by this? There are opportunities all around us for exciting, interesting, and important inventions. Many times the best ones are not all that complicated, they are in fact sitting right under your nose (actually, a lot of things sit under my nose, but that's a whole other story).

Let me be more clear by giving an example. People are always complaining to me that their rug is difficult to keep clean (well, they don't actually complain, but once again, you get the idea). Then one day when I was playing golf it came to me--what if people had grass rugs in their houses? It's the perfect solution. If the grass gets damaged, you just let it grow out and mow it. If you spill a bottle of red wine on the rug it doesn't even matter because drainage is already built in. In short, it is the perfect invention!

So get out there and make the extraordinary out of the ordinary. And like me, you'll be able to wear golf spikes in your house to aerate your rug. Now if only I could do something about these allergies!